Natural Gas: Tips for Safety

If you are using natural gas as an energy source in your home, there are a number of things to know and to be aware of. These tips and tricks will help you remember the vital signs of danger so that you can predict and avoid any and all big time disasters. Although using natural gas is the most efficient and effective energy source to power services within your home, it has a number of qualities that can become dangerous, even deadly, if homeowners are unaware of the signs.

Legislation requires homes equipped with natural gas to have carbon monoxide detectors on every level of the home. This ensures that residents are notified of increasing levels of carbon monoxide which could potentially grow to cause headaches, dizziness, loss of consciousness and even death. Along with these alarms, homeowners should be aware that natural gas leaks often smell like rotten eggs and if there is an unusual smell within the home, it should be investigated. Educate residents about the meter and pipes in the basement and try to avoid any blockages and watch for damages on these items.

If you are looking to do any landscaping and your house is in a city with natural gas then you’ll need to make a phone call before you decide to dig. You won’t want to hit a gas line on your way down and create larger problems for the entire neighbourhood. Although people have used electric appliances for heat, don’t ever use a gas appliance to keep warm. There is a larger risk of igniting a fire or explosion when allowing gas to seep into the home.

Ensure that gas appliances are free of ALL blockages and far from flammable items like cardboard boxes or paper. Don’t move the underground markers that the gas company places outside as they mark where the gas pipes are located. All of these tips and tricks will help you maintain the highest level of safety in your home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *