Gas Safety: Tips That Could Save Your Life

Some of the most efficient households use natural gas as their main energy source. Not only is natural gas less expensive than other forms of energy but it is the most environmentally friendly way to run your home, business or other institution. Natural gas is the safest energy source for homes but can have serious repercussions if used or maintained improperly.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas which forms when there is too little air to burn the fuel into carbon dioxide. This occurs when there is insufficient ventilation for the gas utilities to burn properly and it can cause serious harm to those exposed to it. Carbon monoxide poisoning is often silent and requires an alarm for people to realize they are being exposed to it. Although it is very toxic, it can be avoided easily and owners of gas homes should be aware of the warning signs.

Natural gas is extremely flammable and only requires a small spark within the area of a leak to induce a fire or explosion, which contributes to peoples trepidation and hesitation towards the use of gas in their home. Beware of the warning signs involved with gas leaks and keep track of any and all frequent headaches, dizziness, nausea or irregular breathing. Exposure to low levels of gas causes no harm to the health of an individual but higher levels can lead to loss of consciousness or even death. Using an alarm, taking inventory of gas exposure symptoms and initiating regular maintenance checks can help alleviate your chances of exposing anyone in your home to any serious side effects.

Easy bruising, memory loss, severe leg aches, abdominal pain, nausea and even flu like symptoms can hint to overexposure to natural gas. Using gas appliances easily lowers your impact on the environment but staying aware of the warning signs can contribute to an even greater cause of maintaining health of those in your home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *